Just over one hundred years ago, the firm of R. Goodman and Sons opened as a trimming merchants catering for the tailoring trade in Leeds.
In 1956, Abe Goodman, the eldest son, excited by the burgeoning popularity of home dressmaking, took over a small lingerie shop owned by a Mrs Dutton in Harrogate’s Lowther Arcade; Duttons for Buttons was born.
In 1968, Abe passed away suddenly and his daughter Drusilla stepped in, putting her own career as an orthoptist on hold. With tireless energy and infectious enthusiasm, Drusilla added new shops across Yorkshire and, like her father, embraced the latest needlecraft trends. She also inherited his passion for buttons, eventually sourcing over 12,000 different designs. When Duttons for Buttons celebrated its 60th Anniversary, Drusilla was still at the helm, aged 85.
When Drusilla passed away in 2016 her daughter Deborah, great granddaughter of the founder, took over the family business. Drusilla’s legacy was of thriving shops in Harrogate, York and Ilkley, and an international reputation held in great affection by button enthusiasts, stitchers and needle-crafters the world over.